Search
Close this search box.
sons and daughters of guam club logo transparent

About the Sons and Daughters of Guam Club

Original sdgc building purchased in 1973

Original building purchased in 1973.
The clubhouse is sitting on 2.4 acres of property. Photo contributed by Pacing Cruz Reyes.

Founded:

The Sons & Daughters of Guam Club, Inc. (SDGC, Inc.) was founded in 1953. The founders and original officers were President Jose Flores (Cabesa), also known as Joe Flores, and the Vice-President was Guillermo Taitano (Calextro) also known as Gil Taitano. Secretary Maria Mendiola, Treasurer Juan Duenas, Hospitality Chairperson Carmen Garrido, and Master at Arms Jesus Garrido. 

Initially the club provided its founding members, with a place for weekend celebrations of any occasion and news exchanges. As time passed the membership grew, and more activities took place.

The Guam Liberation became the major attraction, and Chamorros from all over the western states traveled the distance to San Diego to take part of the festivities. Due to the growth, the liberation celebration had to even-tually be moved to major halls and hotels for accommodation.

SDGC was incorporated on May 24, 1971, through President Pete Limtiaco. In 1973, through President Jose Untalan, a 2.4 acre lot with a residential building was purchased at 334 Ozark Avenue, San Diego, 92102

334 Willie James Jones Avenue San Diego, CA 92102 (619) 264-1226 Today’s Club House and Pavilion

Dubbed “Home Away from Home”, the expansion of the building can now accommodate 125 guests, and in July of 1996 the Galaide Pavilion was completed and can seat up to 1000 guests with a full kitchen. The  pa-vilion is the size of two tennis courts, and was led by former President John Holwitz. Both the building and the pavilion is rented for private parties, and is also used by the fiesta groups. The pavilion is also used for liberation celebrations.  Since than, Ozark Avenue has changed to Willie James Jones Avenue. (continued)     

The home away from home expansion the Galaide Pavilion

SDGCI Chamorro Community Outreach:


The Sons & Daughters of Guam Club currently has 400 members throughout the mainland, Guam and the Commonwealth of Northern Marianas (CNMI). Here in San Diego County, there are 300 members. SDGCI provides reduce rental prices for members only, full prices for non-members.
In 2014, through now former President Jesus “Bataik” Cruz, The Sons and Daughters of Guam Club Inc. transformed into a 501 (c) (3) Non-Profit Charitable Organization. SDGCI accepts tax-deductible charitable donations from the public, and SDGCI promotes charity through other forms.
The Guam club provides medical financial assistance, and a food drive for Chamorro families who are less fortunate. Wednesdays is reserved for full lunches, also known as the Boka Program for all ages, and mem-bers receive a reduce price. In addition, the club promotes cultural and language projects.

Former Presidents

1953 – 1954 | Jose Flores

1954 – 1955 | Pete Franquez

1955 – 1956 | Adrian Sanchez

1957 – 1958 | Greg C. Perez

1962 – 1963 | Fred Peterson

1963 – 1964 | Jose Mendiola

1964 – 1965 | Juan Salas

1965 – 1966 | Rick Concepcion

1966 – 1967 | Frank Pittington

1967 – 1968 | Thomas Garrido

1968 – 1969 | Tencia Baza

1969 – 1970 | Vicente Sablan

1970 – 1971 | Pedro Limtiaco

1971 – 1973 | Tito Baza 

1973 – 1977 | Jose Untalan

1977 – 1982 | Lynn Ramsey

1982 – 1984 | Pete Pereira

1985 – 1986 | Maria Alcantara

1986 – 1988 | Pete Pereira

1988 – 1990 | Ben Quintanilla

1990 – 1991 | Vicente Munoz 

1991 – 1992 | Anthony Treltas

1992 – 1993 | Dale Nesbitt

1993 – 1994 | Kelly Santos

1995 – 1996 | Jesus A. Cruz

1997 – 1998 | John Holwitz

1999 – 2000 | Manuel G. Sablan

2001 – 2002 | Juan S. Cruz 

2003 – 2004 | Juan A. Salas

2005 – 2006 | Ramon L.G. Sablan

2007 – 2010 | Jesus Y. Quitugua

2011 – 2018 | Jesus A. Cruz 

2019 – 2020 | Joshua Borja 

Skip to content